Sugar Cookies for Newbies

Hi strangers!
I can't believe it's been two months since...my last "I can't believe it's been so long.." post.  A lot has happened.  Christmas, NYE, putting down a deposit on a puppy...you know, casual things!  But, I wanted to stop by quick on this beautiful (and absolutely freezing) day to share this sugar cookie recipe that I tried this weekend!

Over break when Ryan and I were in Nashville, his brother's girlfriend brought beautifully decorated sugar cookies with her and we all ate them so quickly...we baked more together!  That inspired me to whip up my own and I found a recipe I (and Ryan) really like.  The one year old I babysat last night even declared them "dood".  So, I think it's a winner.  My favorite part of the recipe is that it made approx. 4 dozen cookies!  Over the holidays when we hosted a party, I made homemade shortbread cookies that were a total pain and...they only made a dozen!  So, it was satisfying to get 48! 

I used an adorable heart shaped cookie cutter that a dear friend got me before the wedding and just made a simple frosting recipe that is below as well.  I dipped the entire cookie face down into the frosting and then dipped it straight down into a plate of white sugar crystals...can you tell I was inspired by the snow this weekend?  Here is the recipe!  I got it off the All Recipes app which I had never used before.  Enjoy! 

Sugar Cookie
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
4 eggs
5 cups of all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking powder

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.  Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.  Cover and chill dough for one hour (or over night).

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Roll out dough on floured surface 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter.  Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 6-8 minutes (8 works perfect in my oven) in preheated oven.  Cool completely.

Cookie Frosting
1 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
2 teaspoons milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk until smooth.  Beat in corn syrup and vanilla extract until icing is smooth and glossy.  If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.

Comments

Popular Posts