#5faves: So Many Books

Linking up with Call Her Happy today for my #5faves! I was reading non stop this summer and even though my reading train has slowed down, I have five ultimate favorite books from the summer! 

I love to read.  And I love to read almost anything.  I read a lot of YA (young adult) and chicklit (AKA target best seller's section).  I live about two blocks from the big central library in Milwaukee and visit it usually weekly/  This summer I scoured good reads and tumblr and created an ultimate list of books I wanted to read.  Every few weeks I would request about ten of them and then pick them up when they were available (most convenient thing ever).  I was reading about a book a day on a good week!  I miss it so much.  But, with the time I have had to read, I have read some great books this fall!  So, here is my top 5.

1. Me Before You/After You (Jojo Moyes)
If you cry when you read, bring the tissues! These books capture an amazing love story. And when the movie comes out I think it'll be the next The Notebook.

2. Go Set a Watchman (Harper Lee)
This is an extremely unpopular opinion. People who grew up loving Scout and Atticus don't like that you see a new side of Atticus that contradicts why we all fell in love with him in To Kill a Mockingbird.

I grew up with To Kill a Mockingbird and it means a lot to me. When I was in 6th grade, my dad had me read it out loud to him. It was and is his favorite book and I have always been an avid reader. It was such an important and special part of our relationship when I was growing up. He named our dog Scout! That's how big the TKAMb love is. It is also the first book I ever taught as an English teacher and one of Ryan's first dates was to see the play---so why did I read something that might ruin the love?

My dad bought it for me and told me that if I read it first and love it he would read it and if I hated it he wouldn't. So I got it the last time I was home and it was finished before my flight touched down in MKE. 

Reasons why I loved it and you should read it:
  • You get to find out what happened to Dill and Jem and all your favorites!! 
  • There are more flash backs to their childhood that weren't in TKAMb!
  • Harper Lee wrote this FIRST so I like knowing that she didn't just haphazardly end their stories. It was all intentional.
  • I felt the same warm feeling I did the first time I read TKAMb because Harper Lee is an amazing author and Scout as the narrator just gives you that cozy feeling while your reading. 
  • Atticus does disappoint you but her uncle doesn't. And Aunt Alexandria is finally not totally a brat. And Atticus kind of redeems himself in the end. When you are reading the book the racism isn't as shocking and out of character as I expected it to be---anyone agree or disagree? 

The only reason I didn't like it was because it was so short!

3. Big Little Lies (Liane Moriarty)
I LOVED this book.  This was my first Liane Moriarty book and I liked it so much I was reading the rest of her books immediately.  I can't say anything more because when I go on about books I love I am known for giving away all the spoilers. But read it!

4. What Alice Forgot (Liane Moriarty)
I briefly talked about this book here. I am fairly sure that this book is becoming a movie.  It is a semi often told story about memory loss and a husband you don't remember, etc.  But, it definitely is a fresh new version of the typical story.  It is a warm and fun read that keeps you on your toes!  Liane is just such a fabulous writer.  Her voice comes through fantastically and you really are 100% enthralled for the entire read.

5. The Last Letter From Your Lover (Jojo Moyes)
I had a hard time choosing my fifth one because all of her other books could fit in this spot! But this one wins because the ending was the most heart warming!

Happy reading!!!

Comments

Popular Posts